As a Syrian artist, I always feel the need to give back to my state. Sadly, Syrian refugees have become connected with terrorism. I needed to create a project that would clear the stereotypes that people have about Syrian refugees and spread knowledge about the need for educating kids in refugee camps.
“ Once is the outcome of my life-altering encounter with Syrian refugee girls. Plastik Studios and I decided to throw a costume party.
The girls really appreciated the encounter. It was a first. This really is the only life she'd ever understood. She never got to experience a youth that was proper and she was so happy to play fake.
It’s important to understand that due to war and displacement, the schooling of most refugee girls is disrupted. This frequently leads to gender and sexual -based early marriage, increased threats of exploitation, and violence /pregnancy.
The purpose of this effort will be to increase funds and consciousness that'll let Malaak NGO to grant a suitable schooling to these girls.
2. “ Once Upon a War” is the result of my life-altering encounter with Syrian refugee girls
3. I could collaborate with several girls who are temporarily residing in a refugee camp in Akkar, Lebanon
4. We determined to throw a costume party in the camp. Girls got to dress up as their favourite Disney princesses and talk about their aspirations
5. Most of them never get the opportunity to play because their reality is around currently dominating imaginary,
6. With our project, we wanted to clear the stereotypes that people have about Syrian refugees and spread knowledge about the importance of training kids in refugee camps
7. These girls are real-life heroines, and I am honoured that I got the opportunity with them to dream